The first day of Spring 2010 was literally a breath of fresh air. After having to stay indoors during the
Snowpocalypse and
Snowmaggedon, it was nice to get out and enjoy the outdoors! On this particular day, we Metro'd from Alexandria to
L'Enfant Plaza and walked from there to the
Mall,
White House,
Georgetown and then over the bridge to
Rosslyn. From there we hopped on the Metro back home. (For those not too familiar with the area, it's really just one giant loop.) Some pictures from our walk:


Apparently, it was perfect weather for protests, because we stumbled upon two. This one at the Capitol:


And this one near the White House:



The following weekend, we continued to have perfect weather; this time for cherry blossoms!

These photos were taken on the first day of the Cherry Blossom Festival; before the peak blooms. Like the weekend before, we Metro'd from Alexandria to L'Enfant then walked over to the
Tidal Basin.







Since we were already at the Tidal Basin, we thought we'd head over to the
Jefferson Memorial.




And since we're near the
Washington Monument, why not snap some photos?


I went a little snap-happy with the old
G10, so you can see the rest of the day's pictures
here.
Disappointed that I only had pre-peak Cherry Blossom Festival photos, I dragged Joe out of bed the following weekend to take more pictures. Unfortunately, the blossoms peaked during the work week, so by the time we got there, they were post-peak. Go figure.




Lots more post-peak blossom photos
here, along with the annoying guy who ended up in two of my photos, a GIANT dog, more Washington Monument photos and the
Lincoln Memorial.
In mid-May, Joe and I went to
Mount Vernon for their Spring Wine Festival with some of his work peeps. I wasn't sure what to expect, but his work peeps were really cool and it was just neat to sit on the grounds, watch the sunset, sip some local wines and see George & Martha!











Other Spring Wine Festival photos can be seen
here.
The following weekend, we traveled to the
Windy City! If you haven't been and you have the opportunity to go, I'd recommend going to Chicago. I don't know what I was expecting (it had decades since I had been there), but I instantly fell in love with the city.











Views from the
John Hancock Observatory:



Walking around the Downtown area, we stumbled upon the city's Turkish Festival at
Daley Plaza and stayed for lunch, a souvenir shirt and some photos:














While we were there, the Blackhawks were making their run in the playoffs and it was so cool to see the city's support for the home team:





Chicago has such flavor -- beautiful parks, architecture and food; we had such a great time in the short time we were there. We'll definitely be back. (All 198 of our Chicago pictures can be seen
here.)
Before we wrapped up the month of May, we had one more weekend getaway:
DCA to
BOS for Memorial Day weekend. Meaghan, Joe and I started our Saturday by visiting little David's baseball game.

That wasn't a break; the game was actually going on! But to their credit, the game was just about done. Sarah made it towards the end of the game, right after dance class.

After the game, Joe, Meaghan and I went to the
North End for lunch at
Il Panino (four stars on
Yelp!) and a stroll around the neighborhood.




Holy smokes, more pilgrims!




And while I loved the walking around the city, I had been many times before. My objective was the impossible -- this in a medium:

Impossible, you ask? We went to every. t-shirt. stand. in what had to be a five-mile radius of the North End (Meaghan is quite the t-shirt stand guide!), and every t-shirt stand had this shirt in every size... but medium. The only size that would fit. :-( And why I needed this shirt so bad? You'll see in my Summer 2010 post! My t-shirt search ended in failure, but I'm happy to report that I ended up getting one
here. Hooray!
Later that evening, we went down to
Patriot Place for dinner, but not before checking out
Gillette Stadium.




Love this photo of Sarah and Unca Joe:

Our last day in town was spent with the family and celebrating little David and Sarah's birthdays. But not before going to
Sharon, for the
best. ice cream. ever.

No pictures of ice cream, but I took some photos of the cows at the dairy farm:


After
Crescent Ridge, we headed back to David and Melissa's and played some ball.



Then it was party time!





As always, we had an awesome trip! More pictures can be seen
here.
A special thank you to Meaghan for sharing her pictures. ♥
Awesome photos (except for that extremely unattractive photo of Joe and I in the North End)!! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteMaybe Unca Joe needs to buy his phenomenal sister a camera like yours so I can take good pics too. Just throwing that out there.