Thursday, October 15, 2009

Another DC Friday

Why "DC Friday" you ask? The first couple of times I went to DC to see the sites and museums it just so happened to be a Friday... so the OCD in me decided that my DC sightseeing would be done on Fridays (until I become employed, at least!).

Last Friday (yes, last Friday -- I'm finally catching up on these posts!), Joe had taken off from work so he accompanied me on for "DC Friday". While we took a tour of the Capitol years ago, they recently opened their Visitor Center (which I also read about in The Lost Symbol -- more reason to go!), so I wanted to check it out.

The Capitol Visitor Center opened last December and it's beautiful. It's completely underground, but they managed to make it feel like it's not.

After watching a brief video on the history of the building, we went on our tour.

I loved the Rotunda (obviously)! I found it interesting that each state was allowed two statues in side the Capitol. Here's one of California's two statues:

The other, which I didn't take a picture of, was a statue of Junipero Serra. After the Rotunda, we moved into a hallway area where we passed by Nancy Pelosi's office:


Then into a small room that used to be the House of Representatives meeting room.


And... that was it. We thought the tour would also include a tour of the Senate and House Galleries, but it didn't. I guess you need to contact your local Representative or Senator for those tour passes. We had done this a few years ago, so it wasn't that big of a deal... but I felt bad for the people who were expecting more on this tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS